Key Stage 3 Curriculum Overview
Within key stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9) we have a dedicated and caring team of teachers and teaching assistants.
In year 7, 8 and 9 pupils are taught in base classes where they have 1 teacher and TA for most of the day. They have specialist teachers for science, PE and computing.
Pupils complete ASDAN awards which are embedded into their curriculum. Year 9 pupils work towards their Functional Skills tests in English and maths.
our pupils. The overall purpose of our curriculum is to prepare pupils for adulthood through a positive and supportive
framework that helps to develop:
● Confident individuals – who lead safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
● Successful learners – who enjoy school, make great progress and achieve a range of qualifications
● Responsible citizens – who make productive contributions to society
To enable our pupils to be confident and resilient individuals we:
● Implement a focused PSHE & RSE Policy that equips pupils with the knowledge required to understand themselves
physically, emotionally, socially and sexually
● Offer a wide range of interventions for those who require additional support
● Work with a different agencies to enhance the school offer and ensure that learning extends beyond the school day
To enable our pupils to be successful learners we:
● Carefully sequence learning to support the acquisition of knowledge over time
● Operate a whole school emotional regulation strategy
● Actively engage with pupils’ EHCPs
To enable our pupils to be responsible citizens we:
● Explicitly teach strategies that support self-regulation
● Employ the use of restorative practice to develop empathic and caring pupils
● Raise aspirations and challenge stereotypes, particularly through our careers, education, information and guidance policy
● Develop knowledge and understanding of our local, national and international communities