Can you help shape the future of our school?
We need parents of pupils registered at the school to make a difference in our school’s community by
volunteering to become parent governors. Currently we have 1 Vacancy for parent governors on the governing body.
Your voice as a parent is very important to our school and it is vital that the governing body has good
representation by our parents among its membership.
Information about the role
Once elected or appointed for a term of four years, a parent governor takes on the role of a school
governor, a public volunteer. All governors are equal, no category of governor is any more
important or influential than any other. Parent governors exercise a strategic parental voice on the
What can you offer as a parent governor?
- Enthusiasm, time and commitment.
- Your local knowledge will be valuable: you will have a feel for what is important to people.
- Any professional or other skills you may have will be very helpful.
- An openness to learning and change, and wanting to make a difference.
- Governors also provide objectivity in debate and decision-making and can add further anddifferent perspectives to school matters.
What are the benefits?
- Being a school governor is a privilege – you are a small but very important part in an
educational system with a very long history.
- The knowledge that you have played a part in improving local children’s education and
supported the school’s staff.
- A chance to develop new skills, to practice and strengthen existing ones, such as chairing a
meeting, researching or leading on a key school issue.
- The opportunity to work as part of a team to make a real difference in the community.
- The opportunity to meet new people from all walks of life whom you probably would not have
- Knowing that the decisions you collectively make will have a huge impact on children’s lives.
- You develop as a person and may even find that your experiences as a governor influence
future career and life choices.
If you are interested in volunteering, here’s what you should do …
1.) Please check that you are eligible to stand as a parent governor. The definition of “parent”
- all natural parents, whether they are married or not: and
- any person who, although not a natural parent, has parental responsibility for a child or young
- “Parent” is defined as including “any individual who has or has had parental responsibility for, or
cares or has cared for, a child or young person under the age of 18”. It includes a person who the
child lives with and who looks after the child, irrespective of what their relationship is with the
child. The reference in the definition must be to someone involved in the full-time care of the child
on a settled basis.
There are some criteria which can disqualify you from serving as any type of governor. This
list is given in the nomination form. If you are applying, then you must confirm that you are
not disqualified by those criteria.
2.) Please nominate yourself by completing the attached nomination form.
3.) Please ensure that your completed nomination from is returned to the school by 12 Noon on Wednesday 26th November 2022. Nominations can be returned directly to the school office or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Parent Governor Nominations invited:||12th January 2022|
|Parent Nominations to be returned by:||26th January 2022 – 12 Noon|
|If more than one Parent Governor Nomination and Election required.
Ballot Papers to be issued by:
27th January 2022
|Ballot Papers to be returned by:||03rd February 2022 – 12 Noon|
|Ballot Papers to be counted on:||03rd February 2022 – 4 pm|
|Results of Ballot to be announced via the School Website on:||04th February 2022|
What happens after the nomination deadline has passed?
Any nominations received after the deadline will not be accepted.
If the school receives more nominations than there are vacancies, then we will hold an election and parents will be asked to take part in a secret ballot to vote for the candidate(s) they feel would be most suitable as a parent governor. The information you supply as part of your nomination will be circulated to parents to help them decide who to vote for. Your personal contact details will not be distributed. This is for governing body purposes only.
If the school receives the same amount of nominations as there are vacancies, then those nominees are deemed to be ‘elected unopposed’ and become parent governors without the need for an election.
If no parents nominate themselves by the deadline given above, then the governing body become responsible for appointing parent governors to fill the vacancies. If they can’t find volunteers at our school then they may seek parent volunteers from other schools. If an election needs to take place then I will inform all nominees personally, and all parents in writing, providing the details of how to vote and the deadline for doing so.
If there are any questions or you need further information, please let me know as soon as possible.
You can access the application form using the link below.